Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Roesti

ROESTI
This is a Traditional Swiss dish, generally served as a side. You can either make one large portion or several individual ones.
I have come across several variations of this recipe, but this was the one shown to me when I lived in Switzerland, so I am pretty sure it is authentic.

Ingredients
1kilo/2.2lbs potatoes,boiled in their jacket, the day before (make sure they are not over cooked, in fact they should be under cooked)
2-3tblsp. Butter (NEVER use oil !!)
1-2medium onions, thinly sliced
1-2tblsp. salt

Method
Peel the potatoes and grate them through a coarse grater.
Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan,add onions and cook until they are opaque
Add the potatoes and salt and spread evenly about the pan
Roast for about 3-5 minutes, moving about with a spoon, then form a flat cake and fry on medium heat until there is a golden crust on the bottom.Place a plate on the pan and turn the pan upside down,so that the ROESTI falls on the platter with the crust on top.
If you are very good a cook then flip it like a pancake (something I can never do!) Cook it for a few more minutes.

There are variations to this dish depending on the canton it comes from
Bern - Add streaky bacon ,cut in small slices or cubes
Basle - Use half onions and half potatoes
Valais - cover at the end of cooking with sliced tomatoes and some Raclette cheese(or any other well melting salty cheese )let the cheese melt ,then serve with the crustiest part on the bottom.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.