Monday, July 20, 2009

Australian Burgers

I found this recipe tucked away in an old suitcase...last time used on a trip to Sydney, Australia. I remember getting it from a mom and pop restaurant and must have forgotten to unpack it!

That was 5 years ago!! But it's resurfaced so I made them yesterday. I lit the BBQ and boy did they taste good! I'm a beetroot fan but if you are not, you can leave the beets out. They just make for an interesting taste!

This recipe will make 4 burgers

Ingredients
500g minced beef
4 slices bacon (chopped very small)
100g cooked beetroot
2 pita breads
50g of rocket (arugula)
4 tbsp sour cream mixed with some chives

Method:
Mix the meat and bacon with 1tsp of salt and some freshly ground pepper ( I use my hand..more effective and more fun!)
Divide into four with and shape into burgers.
Slice the beetroot and split the pita breads.
Toast the pitta bread.
Heat a grill pan or barbecue.
Grill the bread on both sides until lightly toasted and set aside.
Add the burgers to the grill or barbecue and cook for 2-3 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for a further 2-3 minutes.
Set half a toasted pita on each plate and put a pile of rocket on each.
Top with a burger, then a few slices of beetroot and a dollop of sour cream.
Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.


2 comments:

  1. From an Aussie born girl - I have to say "YUM" and very Australian... I think it might be the beetroot that does it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks so delicious.I cant wait to try this out.I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.