Sunday, September 27, 2009

Zabaglione


Unlike some recipes I came across, real zabaglione is not made using cream!! This is the authentic italian way of making this delicious dish


Zabaglione is an ethereal dessert made by whisking together egg yolks, wine (traditionally marsala) and sugar. This beating is done over simmering water so that the egg yolks cook as they thicken into a light, foamy custard. Traditional zabaglione must be made just before serving. (There is also a frozen version.) The warm froth can be served either as a dessert by itself or as a sauce over cake, fruit, ice cream or pastry. In France it's called sabayon or sabayon sauce.

Ingredients
4 egg yolks
2 1.2 oz sugar
4 tbs dry marsala

The Zabaglione is cooked over simmering water in a double boiler. This will prevent the eggs from curdling, so take care the water doesn’t come into contact with the bottom of the bowl.

In the top of the double boiler (or a metal bowl that can be suspended over simmering water), beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and foamy. Beat in the marsala. Set the mixture over the simmering water and whisk constantly for about 4-5 minutes. If the mixture heats too quickly, remove it from the heat for a few seconds. You want to cook the eggs slowly so the mixture stays very smooth. It will look foamy and be slightly thick. Serve immediately, or chill for making

Read all about zabaglione here

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for my lovely card wallet which arrived today. It's beautiful. And how nice to win something just for knowing my vegies! I love all your recipes, and will gradually try to replicate them myself. Thank you again for my great prize.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.