Saturday, September 12, 2009

Maids of Honour Tarts


I First tasted the little tarts over 20 years ago at a little tea room in Kew gardens, London. They were like nothing i have tasted before and I have been searching for the right recipe ever since.

Maids of Honor cakes have a long history dating back to around 1585. They were a favorite of Henry VIII who is believed to have named them so after seeing Anne Boleyn and her maids in waiting eating the small cakes. It is said that the king was so fond of the recipe that he kept it locked away in a chest in Richmond Palace.During the 18th century the recipe was obtained by a Richmond bakery who began making the cakes for the general public - which is where I had tasted them

This is the recipe that seems to taste like the ones I so liked...but i am not sure if it is the original!


Ingredients
8oz Puff Pastry
8oz Curd or Cottage Cheese
1 Egg
1 Lemon
3ozSugar
2oz Currants
½ oz Blanched Almonds , crushed
½ oz Butter
2 tsp Brandy

Method
Preheat oven to 375°F
Push the cheese through a fine sieve, add the beaten egg, grated rind of the lemon, sugar, currants, chopped almonds, butter and brandy.
Mix thoroughly to combine all of the ingredients.
Roll out the pastry and cut into 16 rounds and place in shaped baking tray.
Half fill the rounds with the filling.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.