Sunday, September 6, 2009

Quiche Lorraine

With its few, simple ingredients and easy-as-pie preparation, quiche Lorraine livens up any meal, giving it a French twist without all the culinary expertise normally associated with la cuisine française.
I have come across several recipes that substitute some of the cream with milk...and tasted some of these results...yukkkkk.....tasted of scrambled eggs! A real quiche uses cream - or even better crème fraîche.
Never use a pre made crust - always make your own.
Also, (and I did not know this) shredded cheese is an absolute no no in the authentic Quiche Lorraine.
Oops, i always used cheese...so today I will be trying out an authentic recipe from Amelie.
Vive la France!!!

Shortcrust pastry:
To make the pastry:
Rub 1 1/2 cups of plain flour,
a pinch of salt and
31/2 oz of butter into 'breadcrumb' type consistency. (you can also use half vegetable shortening for a light pastry)
Add a very small amount of milk, and knead that in (The milk can be replaced by a beaten egg if preferred).
Add a tiny bit more milk if necessary but always a very small amount at a time. If you add too much it will suddenly go sticky and unworkable (if this happens add a little more flour).
Method
Leave the ball of pastry in the fridge for an hour, then get it out and leave it another half an hour to reach room temperature.
You can now roll out the pastry and put in your flan tin. Prick the base of the pastry all over.

easy no???!!!
Now for the filling:
Lardons are traditionally used but you can use cubed bacon, grilled and drained instead

Ingredients:
7 oz thick smoked bacon cut into cubes
4 eggs (separated)
10 oz cream, whipped
salt and pepper.
Method:
Beat the egg yolks and the cream.
Add the bacon cubes
season to taste
Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
Pour the filling into the pasty. I prefer to blind bake the pastry for about 15 mins, to be sure it will be nice and crisp.

Bake at 430F for 20-30 mins until done.

You can always make your own variation, using cheese, scallions, herbs, onions etc. etc. I was actually amazed at how light and tasty the original was!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this - it's given me an idea of how I can make our few tomatoes stretch further in our interpretation of the BLT for Michael Ruhlman's challenge:

    http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2009/09/blt-update.html

    I am thinking bacon, arugula, tomato quiche....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I never knew about the no-cheese rule for Quiche Lorraine. Good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to know a secret?? I have never had a Quiche Lorraine and didn't even know what inside! Now I know! This looks delicious by the way and the photograph is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Très belle recette de Quiche Lorraine, ça a l'air délicieux ! Bon appétit !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.