Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lemon Squares

I had to sift through (pardon the pun) quite a few recipes till I found what i was looking for. This one is pretty easy to make and very tasty. Thanks to Lucy for sending me this recipe.

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup icing sugar, plus some for sifting on top of the finished squares
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
4 large egg yolks
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. ( I spray with a non-stick spray)
Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides; butter paper.

Make crust:
Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy.
Add flour, and mix on low just until combined.
Press dough into the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of prepared pan; prick all over with a fork. Bake until lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Note to self: Can also use a graham cracker base like the one used in making a cheesecake. No cook in this case.

Make filling:
In a large bowl, whisk together yolks, condensed milk, and lemon juice until smooth.
Pour over hot crust in pan; return to oven, and bake until filling is set, 25 to 30 minutes.
Cool completely in pan.
Refrigerate until filling is firm, about 2 hours or up to 3 days.
Second note to self: If feeling lazy, use lemon curd instead- no cook again!
Using paper overhang, lift cake onto a work surface; cut into 16 squares, and dust with confectioners sugar.

2 comments:

  1. There are so many different recipes out there for lemon squares yet this one looks very yummy and simple. I'll have to try it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like the same lemon squares that I prefer! I have been looking for a recipe too! I used to work at Starbucks when they sold lemon squares and they were this kind, I could never get enough!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.