Sunday, September 20, 2009

Perfect Bechamel Sauce


All the bechamel recipes I found use plain flour. I have found that by far, the best and lightest bechamel is made using corn flour. (corn starch, for Americans) Another trick is when adding the cornflour to the butter - take the pan with the butter off the heat, add the cornflour, and stir until smooth. The hot butter will melt the cornflour. Add a little bit of the milk until the consistency is liquid THEN put back on the heat ready to add the rest of the milk. Also, be prepared to stir ALL THE TIME! If you get lumps, the sauce is ruined.


Ingredients
5 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons cornflour
4 cups milk (warmed)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Method
In a saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted.
Take off the heat, add the cornflour and stir until smooth. I prefer to use a whisk here.
Add about 1/2 cup of the milk and stir vigorously until you have a thickish consistency.
Put back over the heat.
Add the remaining milk bit by bit, stirring all the time.
Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, (or until the sauce thickens) stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
Season with salt and nutmeg

This sauce can be used as a base for cheese sauce, pasta sauces and also as an addition to pie fillings. I always use this recipe as a topping for my lasagne.

14 comments:

  1. mmm, I love bechamel sauce! This is a good refresher course for me, its been ages since I made some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh I've been looking for an easy bechamel sauce recipe, I love how yours is very easy and simple to make

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never tried cornflour for making a roux, and in the case of the bechamel wonder if it would add grit to the texture? Just asking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cornflour is a great tip! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cajun Chef Ryan -- note she said "corn starch to Americans". So, no grit! I'm trying it tonight. First attempt at a gluten free bechamel sauce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is cornflour same as corn starch, or is it corn meal?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought it was probably corn starch but better get the correct ingredient than have a dissaster in the kitchen. PS. I joined your Care Package food exchange program. Sounds like fun,.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Louise I would love to do my first exchange with you. Just send me the rules and regs and we can go from there. Thanks. This sounds like a lot of fun. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great twist on the bechamel! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I use this recipe to make cheese souffle (gluten-free) and if so, do I still add the egg yolks?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many years later, thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Used it for Greek pasticio fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.