Sunday, September 6, 2009

Vichyssoise

This cold soup has so few ingredients that you should only use the best. Try and use homemade broth and not a bouillon cube. With their mild, sweet, onion flavor, leeks make a wonderful addition to this cold soup. Because they're grown in sandy soil, leeks tend to trap grit between their multi layered leaves and must be washed thoroughly before cooking. Yukon Gold potatoes are the best here.

Ingredients
4 leeks
1 medium onion
2 tbs butter
2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
4 cups chicken broth(home made if possible)
2 cups cream
4 tbs chives


Method
Gently sweat the chopped leeks and the chopped onion in the butter until soft, about 8 minutes. Do NOT let them brown.
Add potatoes and stock to the saucepan. Salt and pepper to taste
Bring to the boil, and simmer very gently for about 30 minutes or until done, adding more broth if necessary.
Puree in a blender or food processor until very smooth.
Cool.
Gently stir in the cream before serving and top with the chopped chives.

1 comment:

  1. This looks greta! I haven't had Vichyssoise in so long. I love that when its cold the leeks really stand out, where as if the soup was hot we would call it 'potato soup'!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.