The mixture can be prepared in advance but since the souffle is best served immediately, start step 5 just before serving time so that it will be served nice and fluffy.
7½fl oz milk
3 thick slices sourdough bread(cut off crusts)
5oz crumbled feta cheese
3 eggs, separated
7oz ripe tomatoes, finely diced (remove seeds)
2oz butter, softened
pinch of sugar
1 tbs fresh basil or mint leaves, chopped
Salt and pepper
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 425F
2. Tear up the bread, pour the milk over and soak for 5-10 minutes.
3. Put the cheese into a food processor with the butter, egg yolks, milk and bread mixture, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Process until smooth.
4. Mix the tomatoes with the sugar, basil or mint and salt and pepper, and divide between six buttered ramekins.
5. Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and fold into the cheese mixture. Spoon this over the tomatoes, filling each ramekin almost to the top.
6. Put the ramekins straight into the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes until nicely puffed and browned. Do not open the oven while cooking or the souffles will deflate!
7. Serve immediately.