Thursday, August 20, 2009

Biskuttini tar-rahal - Village Biscuits

These Maltese biscuits “Biskuttini tar-Raħal”, "Village Biscuits" in English, were traditionally served during special occasions such as the Christening of a baby. They would be decorated on top with swirls of pink icing for a baby girl or pale blue for a boy. I just find them great with a cup of tea and babies seem to love them too - go easy on the anisette in that case!
The icing swirls on top add a sugary kick as the biscuits themselves are not overly sweet. Wish I had a better pic!!

Ingredients:
3 eggs,
8oz of sugar,
8oz of flour,
grated rind of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 orange,
2tsp of crushed aniseed seeds. (I sometimes add a few drops of anisette..)

Method
Preheat the oven to 450f, but turn down the heat to 375F as soon as you put in the biscuits.
Separate the eggs and beat the whites until they are stiff.
Add the sugar a little at a time, whisking well between each addition.
Put in the yolks, mix again, and then stir in the grated peel and crushed seeds.
Fold in the flour.
Shape the dough into ovals, using two spoons, and bake them on a tray scattered with semolina, for 20 minutes or until they are a light golden colour.

Decorate the biscuits with swirls of icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.