here are some great kitchen tips:
- To keep your kitchen towels absorbent, don’t dry them with a dryer sheet. What’s in the sheet that keeps clothes soft will make them less effective. Hang towels to dry instead.
- Try this trick to remove fish, garlic, onion and other strong cooking odors from your hands: cut a lemon in half and rub over your skin.
- "Whipping cream" and "heavy cream" are nearly the same thing, except some whipping cream contains emulsifiers that help it retain its shape after beating.
- When filling pots for boiling, use cold water. Hot water can pick up sediments and minerals as it goes through your pipes, which can affect the taste of your food.
- Cheesecloth is great for bunching herbs and spices for soups, but paper towels are a great stand-in for storage. To keep hard cheeses like Parmigiano Reggiano fresh, wrap them tightly in a paper towel, then in plastic cling wrap.