Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Zuppa Di Cozze - Mussels

Now that summer is here, if you live by the sea try this zuppa di cozze.
I love seafood - and nothing is better than fresh mussles and Italian Bread to soak up the juices! I like to add as much garlic as possible. Since there is no sea here in Arizona i have to buy fresh frozen...not quite the same but still good.
INGREDIENTS
1 Kg of mussels
Lots of fresh parsley
2 or 3 large garlic cloves
6 ripe tomatoes (about 600gms)
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
4 slices of Italian style bread

METHOD
Clean the mussels, washing well and getting rid of any 'beard'.
Chop the parsley, garlic and tomatoes.
In a large pot, place the oil, the mixture of garlic and parsley and bring to an almost boil.
Add the chopped tomatoes, some salt and cook for about 10min on a low heat with the cover on, stirring often.
In the meantime, grill the bread and rub with some garlic.
Add the mussels and cook on a rolling heat until the mussels open - about 5-6 mins- stirring from time to time.

Serve in a soup plate in their own juice, adding a slice of bread, some freshly ground pepper and a piece of parsley for decoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.