Sunday, April 11, 2010

Greek Antipasti

Antipasti are great little starters - I think they are called meze. Whenever I visit a Greek, Lebanese or Turkish restaurant I end up eating a combination of these delicious starters and not a main course. Here are two of my favourites.
Aubergine Dip

3 aubergines
olive oil
8 anchovy fillets, chopped
about 20 pitted black olives, chopped
40g (1½oz) walnuts, toasted
4 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Cut the aubergines into chunks about 1.5cm (½in) square and sauté in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil until they are golden and soft. It will take about 7 minutes on a medium to high heat. You will need to do it in batches and add a little more oil as you go, but don’t let the devils soak up too much. Put the aubergine in a bowl and stir in all the other ingredients, plus some pepper (you probably won’t need salt). Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Red-pepper dip
1kg (2lb 4oz) red peppers, halved and deseeded
400g (14oz) tomatoes, halved
5 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
6 sprigs thyme,leaves picked
1 long red chilli, halved and deseeded
50ml (1¾oz) extra-virgin olive oil
A good squeeze of lemon
Put the peppers and tomatoes in a roasting-tin in a single layer. Season and drizzle with the olive oil. Add the garlic, thyme and chilli and turn everything over to coat. Turn the tomatoes cut-side up and make sure the garlic and chilli are well hidden underneath or inside the veg so they don’t burn. Roast in an oven preheated to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5 for 45 minutes. The tomatoes should be completely shrunken. Put the vegetables and their roasting juices into a food processor and whizz to a purée with the extra-virgin oil. I like a fairly thick mixture, but you can add more oil if you prefer it sloppier. Add the lemon, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy.I liked the red pepper dip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful dish. Layered with so many flavors. The red pepper dip was superb. How would it work where I submitted a recipe? Never done that one before. Let me know. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My email is lazarocooks@gmail.com by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Louise, this is Gary from "Double G's Spot".
    I would love to be a guest blogger on your blog. Let me know what you want and how I would need to do it(as I am quite new to this).
    Gary.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.