Monday, November 9, 2009

Apple Chutney

A great recipe taken from the Times on line. I made a couple of jars of this and it's great with pork.
Makes three 500g jars
This chutney will last for up to six months and will improve as it matures.


Ingredients
1kg Bramley apples
500g onions, diced
400g tin chopped tomatoes
300ml cider vinegar
300ml orange juice
150g dried apples, chopped
2tsp ground allspice
1 tsp each ground ginger,
mace and mustard seeds
400g caster sugar

Method
1 Peel and core the apples and cut them into small chunks.
2 Place all the ingredients except the sugar in a preserving pan or other wide, deep pan. Bring just to the boil, then simmer for two hours, stirring frequently.
3 Add the sugar and stir well. Continue cooking over a low heat for an hour, stirring often.
4 Ladle into sterilised jars while still hot. When cold, store in the fridge or a cool, dark place.

1 comment:

  1. Your chutney sounds delicious! Great combo of spices. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.