What could be more decadent than a chocolate mousse!
Use a good quality chocolate - remember - thats what make the flavor.
You can spice up the taste with a tad of coffee liqueur added at the end of step 2.
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate (plus some extra to make chocolate shavings on top of the mousse)
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Melt the chocolate in a medium bowl set over (but not in) a saucepan of simmering water, stirring often, until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. I use my bain marie
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, 4 tbs of the sugar, and ¾ cup of the cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until the mixture lightly coats the back of the spatula, 2 to 3 minutes (do not boil). Strain into the melted chocolate and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until completely cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1 ¼ cups cream and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form.
- In 3 additions, fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Divide among 8 serving glasses and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (if longer, bring to room temperature before serving). Sprinkle with the shaved chocolate before serving.
The mousse can be prepared up to 2 days in advance (do not sprinkle with the shaved chocolate). Refrigerate covered. Bring to room temperature and sprinkle with the chocolate before serving.