Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Rice Pudding


Before winter  starts, I thought I'd post some (more) comfort food. Rice Pudding has always been a favourite of mine - easy to make and very tasty! Some recipes use an eeg but I found that without the egg the pudding is creamier
Ingredients. Other recipes also use cream but I think whole milk will do.

I am also adding a recipe for Indian Rice Pudding - I haven't tried it but it sounds delicious!

Ingredients
¾ cup rice (medium grain), cooked
1 ltr whole milk
150 g sugar
Lemon zest
Ground cinnamon and nutmeg (optional)


Method
Bring the milk and the lemon zest to a very slow simmer.
Add the cooked rice and sugar.
Stir well to combine.
Return to a slight simmer and cook for an additional 3 -5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and let cool almost completely, then pour into a bowl and refrigerate.
Serve chilled and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.

Some recipe also add raisins, use a mixture of milk and coconut milk (or cream).

Here is a recipe from Alton Brown for Indian Rice Pudding

Ingredients

1 cup cooked long grain or basmati rice
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 ounces sugar, approximately 1/4 cup
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 1/2 ounces golden raisins, approximately 1/3 cup
1 1/2 ounces chopped unsalted pistachios, approximately 1/3 cup

Directions
In a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat, combine the cooked rice and milk.
Heat until the mixture begins to boil.
Decrease the heat to low and cook at a simmer until the mixture begins to thicken, stirring frequently, approximately 5 minutes.

Increase the heat to medium, add the heavy cream, coconut milk, sugar, and cardamom and continue to cook until the mixture just begins to thicken again, approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
Use a whisk to help prevent the cardamom from clumping.
Once the mixture just begins to thicken, remove from the heat and stir in the raisins and pistachios.
Transfer the mixture to individual serving dishes or a glass bowl and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. The cinnamon and nutmeg would be an absolute for me. This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.