I Love risotto - the trick is to have the patience to add the broth a bit at a time - as soon as it seems to start drying up then add more. Also use the correct rice as it has to be starchy.
25g/1oz unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 leek ,(white only) ,chopped
50g/1¾oz chestnut mushrooms, chopped
100g/3½oz risotto rice
50ml/2fl oz white wine
300ml/10fl oz hot chicken stock
50g/1¾oz Dolcelatte (Italian creme cheese)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic, leek and mushroom and fry for two minutes, or until soft.
3. Add the rice and wine and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat slightly and simmer until the wine is completely absorbed.
4. Add the stock in spoonfuls, adding more as the liquid get absorbed and stirring in between. Keep doing this until the rice is completely cooked through.
5. Add the Dolcelatte and stir with a spoon until melted. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. To serve, spoon onto a serving plate.
I also like to add some roughly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Variations can also include adding peas or different types of mushrooms.