Sunday, June 28, 2009

Maltese Rabbit Stew


OK, so I can hear some of you saying eeeeuuuuuuuuooo.....eating a bunny..

But rabbit is actually one of the traditional Maltese dishes. The sauce is also great served over spaghetti


1 rabbit, cut up in pieces
2 cups of red wine
1/4 tsp Rosemary
1 large onion, chopped
5 medium carrots, sliced
5 medium potatoes
1 medium turnip (kohl rabi)
1/4 cup tomato paste
60 ml water (1/4 cup)
1 tsp corn flour
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
and...believe it or not....a small can of peas...yes canned peas! for some reason these work best!



1. In a large frying pan, lightly brown the rabbit pieces in cooking oil.
2. Add the 2 cups of wine, salt, pepper and rosemary.
3. Cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until rabbit is getting tender.
4. Peel and chop vegetables.
5. Remove rabbit from heat transfer to a larger pot If there are any fleshless bones, remove them.
6. Add vegetables and bay leaf to rabbit pot.
7.Mix the corn flour with the 60 ml water and the crushed garlic.
8. Add to the stew stirring occasionally.
9. Simmer for another 40 minutes, until all veggies are soft and the stew slightly thickened.
10. Add the peas and cook for a few more minutes

Note: You can use this stew also as topping to dishes of boiled spaghetti

1 comment:

  1. I'm from Malta but I've lived in the US for most of my life. Rabbit is delicious and so is this stew. I do have to say that my favorite though is rabbit spaghetti.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.