Meaty meatloaf! great cold in a sandwich!
2 tbs butter
1 onion, chopped fine, 1 cup
6 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
1 tbs tomato paste
½ cup low sodium chicken broth, plus 3 tablespoons
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
½ slice hearty white sandwich bread with crusts, torn into pieces
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
¾ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound ground pork
1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1. For the Meatloaf: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Fold heavy-duty aluminum foil to form 9 by 5-inch rectangle. Center foil on wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Poke holes in foil with skewer (about half an inch apart). Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add 3 tablespoons broth and garlic; cook, scraping bottom of pan to loosen any browned bits, until thickened, about 1 minute. Transfer mushroom mixture to large bowl to cool.
3. Whisk eggs, ½ cup chicken broth, and soy sauce together in bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over egg mixture and let sit until gelatin softens, about 5 minutes.
4. Process sandwich bread in a food processor until finely ground, yielding 1/3 cup breadcrumbs. Add cooled mushroom mixture, softened gelatin mixture, parsley, Dijon, pepper, and dried thyme to breadcrumbs and pulse 10 times, until mushrooms are finely chopped, scraping down bowl as necessary. Return to large bowl. Add pork and ground beef and mix well using hands to evenly combine.
5. Transfer meat mixture to foil rectangle and shape into 9 by 5-inch loaf using wet hands. Bake meatloaf until thermometer registers 155 degrees, 75 to 90 minutes. Remove meatloaf from oven and turn on broiler.
6. For the Glaze: While meatloaf cooks, combine all ingredients in small saucepan; bring to simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring, until thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
7. Spread half of glaze evenly over cooked meatloaf; place under broiler and cook until glaze bubbles and begins to brown at edges, about 2 minutes. Remove meatloaf from oven and spread evenly with remaining glaze; place back under broiler and cook until glaze is again bubbling and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes longer. Let meatloaf cool about 20 minutes before slicing.