Friday, July 2, 2010

Chocolate Croissants

This recipe was sent to me from Clare in Australia. I have a feeling I have seen this before so if you know where it came from please let me know!

I love these for breakfast - so decadent! They are best eaten the day you make them

Ingredients
170ml  milk
4  to 4 1/2 cups flour
60ml vegetable oil
3 mini chocolate bars
250g butter, softened
2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
¼ oz fresh yeast
3 tbs c sugar
125ml warm water

Method
Place butter into a rectangle on wax paper and place in fridge to chill.
Add yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar, and water to a bowl and mix, leaving to stand for 5 minutes.
While heating milk, add remaining two tablespoons of sugar, half the amount of flour, vegetable oil, salt and eggs into the yeast mix and mix ingredients together until smooth.
Gradually stir in remaining flour until you have a soft dough. Sprinkle flour onto a hard surface, turn out dough and knead until smooth and elastic.
Place in a well-greased bowl and turn dough over, so the top is greased. Cover and place in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Push dough down. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill dough for a further 1 hour.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and roll out.
Place chilled butter rectangle in centre of dough, and carefully fold dough over butter. Pinch the edges to seal. Roll dough out again; fold into thirds, beginning with short side. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
Repeat rolling and folding procedure two more times, chilling dough 30 minutes each time.
Wrap dough in aluminium foil, and chill for 8 hours.
Divide dough into equal portions and roll into balls.
Take 1 ball and roll flat on a floured surface, and cut into wedges.
Put 3 pieces of chocolate in the wide end of the wedge of dough and roll the wedge to meet the thinnest part, curl the edges of the dough into a crescent shape and pop onto baking tray.
Cover over and keep in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
Repeat for all wedges and remaining dough. Put in oven on 220°C for 8 minutes or until lightly golden. Place on wire rack to cool.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had the patience to make them but I dont. Delicious! but maybe that's a good thing in my case. Thanks for sharing your special recipe.
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your croissants look delicious! I'm new here, you have a great blog and I will enjoy following it to read your posts! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must certainly be one very dedicated baker.
    I'll surely want to try making these one day...however, for now I'll hand over this duty to my wonderful patisserie;o)

    I applaud your wonderful efforts.
    Flavourful wishes, Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.