Monday, January 4, 2010

Meatloaf

This is one of my favourite recipes. Served warm with roast or mash potatoes it makes a great main meal. Served cold in a sandwich its great for someone on the go! I like using a combination of lean beef and pork - the result is more moist.The ketchup topping was something I came across here in the USA, I would usually just make a gravy!

Ingredients:
1 tbs olive oil
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2lb lean  beef and 1/2lb  pork, ground
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup milk
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs Dijon mustard
6 bacon rashers

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put some oil in a nonstick skillet, and cook celery and onion for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic and cook 1 min more. Transfer vegetables to large bowl; cool slightly.

Add beef, bread crumbs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, egg, 1/4 cup ketchup, parsley,salt, and  pepper to vegetable mix; mix with hands until well combined but not overmixed. In cup, mix mustard and remaining 1/4 cup ketchup.

Shape meat mixture into a loaf  shape and place on a baking tray, covered with foil and sprayed with non stick. Cover with the bacon rashers, then with half the ketchup mixture.

Bake for 30 mins, use up the rest of the ketchup mixture and bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until meat thermometer inserted in center reaches 160 degrees F.

Let meatloaf stand 10 minutes before removing from pan to set juices for easier slicing. Transfer meatloaf to platter and cut into slices to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.