Yogurt Dessert with Probiotic Benefits
The market has many probiotic supplements. We all know that the bacteria in yogurt can be beneficial to our digestive system, and even help to alleviate the symptoms of Crohn’s disease or Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). The benefits of probiotics can also be added to your diet for a fraction of the cost.
Eating a small container of yogurt a day for the probiotic benefits can become dull and repetitive. Sure, yogurt is delicious and good for you, but most of us want a bit of variety. It’s much easier to stick to a diet when there’s a range of selections to choose from. Believe it or not, you can hold on to the benefits of yogurt by adding it to some easy and delicious recipes. We should mention that when heat is applied to yogurt, you will lose the probiotic benefits. If you want to retain them, be sure to find and use recipes that do not require heat. The very same goes for freezing and dehydrating yogurt, so keep that in mind when you’re hunting the web for excellent recipes.
One very simple and tasty recipe is the No-Bake Yogurt Cheesecake. Here’s what you’ll need:
What You’ll Need:
Large mixing bowl
8”-9” Springform pan
• 3/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
• 2 tbsp. melted butter
• 1 tbsp. sugar
• 2 (32 oz.) of your favorite probiotic vanilla yogurt
• 1 c. 10 x sugar
• 2 ripe peaches, thinly sliced
• Apricot preserves
• 1/2 pt. fresh strawberries or raspberries
• With 3 layers of paper towels, line the large strainer.
• Place over large mixing bowl and scrape the vanilla yogurt in. Cover and let stand in refrigerator for 24 hours. The yogurt will be very thick.
• Mix crust ingredients together and press evenly over the bottom of the 8”-9” inch Springform pan. Cover and chill until firm for 1 hour.
• Mix drained yogurt with 10x sugar and spoon into chilled crust. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, but overnight would be best.
• Remove sides of pan and arrange peaches around edges. Melt the apricot preserves and brush over peaches. Mound raspberries or strawberries in center.
This tasty dessert, again with your favorite yogurt, serves 8 and is only around 360 calories and 7 grams of fat. This is one very delicious recipe that allows you to enjoy your yogurt and still receive the benefits of a healthy diet.