Sunday, October 18, 2009

Liver and Onions

Many people shudder at the thought of liver - well if they have eaten over-cooked pig’s liver, that is grey, tough and strong tasting, that would probably explain it!


Calves’ liver, lightly cooked so it is still pink inside is the type of liver that you should try. I use chicken and duck liver for pate' but for a hearty dish of liver and onions you MUST use calves ' liver. You can omit the bacon, but for me, this gives it an extra something!

This was a dish I would often make on weekends, accompanied by garlic mash potatoes and as a result, my kids grew up enjoying all kids of foods - I may even add my brain fritter recipe some day…but I digress. The point I want to make is that if children are used to eating most foods, they will! At home, I cooked fresh vegetables, fish, meats, pasta,and if we ever went to a fast food restaurant that was considered an anomaly and an outing in itself! Luckily, my friends all shared my belief that growing kids need home made food and as a result, even when we would go to friends' homes, we would always get a home cooked meal. We would meet up on weekends and have BBQ's, try different foods, fondue night etc etc. In my case what was on the table was the only food you would get - till the next meal!
Thanks to Sonia for this great recipe!

Ingredients
extra-virgin olive oil
unsalted butter
2 rashers bacon, chopped
2 red onions
a leaf of sage
9oz/250g calves liver, thinly sliced
6-8tbsp red wine
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

Method
Heat 1tbsp olive oil with 1tbsp butter in a frying pan. slice the onions as finely as possible and add to the pan with a good pinch of salt, the bacon and the sage leaf. Cook on a medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
In another large frying pan, heat 1tbsp oil. Add the liver to the pan, sprinkle with salt and cook for 30 to 45 seconds on each side. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
Add the wine to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to dislodge any browned bits. Add a tablespoon of butter and the vinegar.

Serve the liver with the onions, and the wine sauce

1 comment:

  1. I've never had liver straight up, although I quite like liver pates, which makes me think that perhaps I should dive in and fry some up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.