Thursday, April 19, 2012

EGGS with SOLDIERS!


When is an egg not an egg?
when it is served with soldiers!
As a child, i would have a soft boiled egg with strips of buttered bread or toast for dipping - my American son-in-law never heard of boiled eggs with soldiers (and he was a soldier!) so here is my take on the family tradition!

Soft-Cooked Eggs
Serves 4

For this recipe, be sure to use large-sized eggs that have no cracks and are cold from the refrigerator. Shaking the raw eggs may seem like an old wives tale, but after cooking hundreds of eggs – both shaken and unshaken - I am convinced that this technique centers the yolks, which ensures even cooking.
 The minute rest off heat prevent the cold eggs from cracking.
Briefly running the eggs under cold running water prevents the yolks from over-cooking; do not omit this step.
You may use this cooking method for fewer than four eggs without altering the timing.
I recommend serving these eggs in eggcups, with buttered toast for dipping, ( we call this soldiers!!)

4 large eggs

1. Bring 1 inch water to boil in large saucepan over high heat.
 Working with one egg in each hand, grasp egg at top and bottom, and shake vigorously for 15 seconds, until inside of egg sloshes within shell. Place eggs in steamer basket. Transfer steamer basket to saucepan, cover, remove pan from heat and let stand 1 minute.

2. Return pan to medium-high heat and cook, covered, for 7 minutes exactly.

3. Transfer steamer basket to sink and run cold water over eggs for 30 seconds, moving steamer if necessary to make sure that all eggs are cooled. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.