Monday, November 22, 2010

Timpana - pastry covered maccaroni

This is a very popular Maltese dish - we would often eat it at Christmas or some other occasion. Its is a super carb dish so should be eaten in moderation! The addition of chicken livers really adds to the flavour - but can be omitted for the faint of heart! I would often make the pastry from scratch, using a semi-short recipe. I have come across some others that use puff pastry but that isn't strictly correct.


Ingredients
1.5 lb pastry
1.5 lb. macaroni
1 lb. minced meat(mixture of beef and pork)
4 oz. chicken livers
6 oz. crushed tomatoes
1 chopped onion
2 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbs tomato paste
1/4 pt. chicken or vegetable stock
2 hard boiled eggs(chopped)
1 aubergine, sliced very finely and fried or grilled.
4 eggs(beaten)
2 cloves of garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper

Method
Fry the onion and garlic.
Add the meat and liver, fry until cooked.
Add the tomatoes and the tomato paste. Cook for a few seconds.
Slowly add the stock and simmer till the meat is tender.
(or you can make a bolognaise of your choice)

Boil the macaroni (al dente!) drain and cool.
Add the sauce, aubergine, cheese and hard boiled eggs and stir well.

Roll the pastry , not too thick, and put into a greased dish with enough over the edges to cover the top
Pour the mixture and cover with the pastry.
Brush the top with beaten egg
Cook in a moderate to hot oven.

You could also just put the pastry on top, to minimize the carbs (ha ha ha) but the real recipe calls for the pasta to be completely wrapped in the pastry.

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious and reminds me of the Greek Pastichio which is a very similar recipe. My problem is that I could never eat something like this in moderation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, and unlike anything I have ever seen or made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gorgeous! What a perfect slice!
    Love your blog - I will be following you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Visit We Are Chefs




All the recipes here have either been sent to me, adapted by me or found on the web. If I know the source I always give credit to the author/website. If you know of a source I may have missed please let me know.